Do you have tough technical questions regarding SharePoint for which you’re seeking answers? Do you want to tap into the deep knowledge of the talented Microsoft Most Valuable Professionals? The SharePoint MVPs are the same people you see in the technical community as authors, speakers, user group leaders and answerers in the MSDN and TechNet forums. By popular demand, we have brought these experts together as a collective group to answer your questions live. So please join us and bring on the questions! This chat will cover WSS 3.0, MOSS, SharePoint Foundation 2010 and the SharePoint Server 2010. Topics include setup and administration, design, development and general question.
Recently I was working on a project that requires to programmatically access and download files from SharePoint Online (part of Office 365) document library. Currently remote authentication (SP Managed Client OM / SP Web Services) is bit challenging to deal with as discussed here but a decent workaround (for now?) is available on MSDN. The first thing you will notice is that authentication is more powerful and more complex because SharePoint Online (so as SharePoint Foundation 2010 | SharePoint Server 2010) embrace Claims Based Authentication. The MSDN sample code seems to work fine so I went ahead and use it as a starting point.
**I used Word 2010 to create and publish this post and somehow images quality gets deteriorated during publishing process. If you want to read this post with high quality images its available as pdf here
Everything went smooth (authentication + accessing list items) till I actually try to download a file from a document library. I was using File.OpenBinraryDirect method (see code snippet below) and got The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden exception.
As I investigate this issue by looking into the exception details I found out that basically it’s complaining about the fact that before opening files in this location I must select the option to login automatically.
This gives me the clue that there is something missing at a basic level. I went ahead and open up a browser and browse to the SharePoint online site from which I am trying to download the file. I use a tool to monitor the request from the browser and eureka I see User-Agent header with a valid value (as expected) which was never set in the code.
The code from the MSDN does not set the UserAgent property of the WebRequest so it remains null. Normally when you are using browser it’s automatically set up for you but in this case you have to do it yourself though code. So you fix this part and you are good to go.
Locate the method GetAuthenticatedContext (inside class ClaimsClientContext within ClaimsAuth project). And add following line of code before you initialize cookie container. You are setting up UserAgent property for the WebRequest to a valid user agent. I have used following value for user agent but you can try different but valid value and it may work too (but I didn’t tried it yet).
e.WebRequestExecutor.WebRequest.UserAgent = “Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)”;
That’s it! You should now able to download the files without any issues.
**On a side note although above solutions works I have a feeling that there is more to it because X-MSDAVEST_Error: 917656 is an Authentication level error and related to WebDav protocol more info here. I may investigate it further when time permits and share my finding in this blog post.